xmas 2013

xmas 2013

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

No more tears

B's in his bed crying. This is extremely unusual bedtime behavior. He usually takes a long time to go to sleep but he never cries. I have already gone in once to check on him. He was peering over the side of the bed and sure enough, had dropped his bear behind it. Now I think he is just really tired. It was a no-nap day. But I can't wait for him to fall asleep.

There is entirely too much crying around here right now. We're working on this. Our team wants him to be in a place where he is challenged but successful and motivated. We don't want him frustrated and we certainly don't want him to give up. As best we can tell, he isn't crying because of the new demands being placed on him (they're not much and mostly fun play at this point) but just that he isn't able to do what he wants to do instead. It's a control thing. Really, who can blame him? I would be pretty upset if someone started invading my personal space and re-arranging all of my free time.

And we're working on our responses to his crying... as in, I can not give him physical attention while he's crying but have to wait until he stops. It makes sense - we don't want him to use crying as a way to get attention. But it's not easy.

Five more minutes and I'm so going in.

No comments:

Post a Comment