xmas 2013

xmas 2013

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cue the tantrums

I predicted this. My easy-going, happy go-lucky boy does in fact have quite a temper. We're seeing all sorts of protests these days in varying degrees. Last night was the mother of all tantrums for him. When I turned off a video they were watching and said it was time for bed, let's just say B wasn't happy. He went on a bit of a rampage and swept toys off the table and onto the floor, knocked over a kitchen chair and threw himself down on the floor. I still wouldn't say he was in a rage - he was just sobbing and couldn't seem to get out of it. I did as I've been directed and completely ignored it, trying to read to his brother over the loud crying. Once he was finally calm, I went to him and he collapsed, exhausted, in my arms. He went right to sleep after that (kind of a nice side effect).  We were assured in our parent meeting this morning that this is a very good sign. I've read about this. These kids are having their lives turned upside down. It's good that it bothers him. It's good that he cares and it's good that he's letting us know about it. It's the kids that are totally complacent that are less likely to have a good outcome because they aren't motivated to do something about it. So, it's a good sign. Not a fun one - but a good one.

Another funny/sweet big boy story from today. We had 4 team members here this morning. Two were meeting with me and 2 were playing with B. My big guy ducked down in the basement with the therapists for a while. On the way to school, he says to me "Mommy, I had fun playing with the girls at my house. And, I've been thinking - having all these girls in my house is kind of like a family." Indeed it is, buddy. A family unlike anything I've ever experienced but I guess it is some semblance of a family. I'm pretty proud of how well he's starting to handle all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment