xmas 2013

xmas 2013

Monday, September 27, 2010

Delicate balance

Today, when our therapist arrived for a second shift, B threw a toy down the stairs, said "uh oh" and turned and grinned. It was a pretty big, exciting moment. He got huge kudos for talking. A minute or two later, he tossed something in his room and again said "uh oh". Therein lies the balance. We want to reward him for talking but do not want to reinforce the behavior. It's the same issue that makes me want to give him cake or a cookie at 8:00 in the morning because he tried to say it.

Also, he just took popcorn out of big bro.'s bowl and ate a handful and then wanted more. This too is huge. B is not willing to try new foods typically. He pretty much pushes anything away that he hasn't eaten before and liked. We've tried popcorn several times before and he wanted nothing to do with it. Now, it's not like he's eating broccoli or something with some actual nutrition but I'll take it. It's the little things.

And because I do not want to neglect my big boy, I just have to log this comment because I don't ever want to forget. Twice now, when I've done something he didn't like, he put on his best authoritative tone and declared "Mommy Nicholas". It makes sense, right? When he's in trouble, he's Andrew Nicholas. Love it. Love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment